Le circuit des lavoirs de Saint-Georges-de-Rex

Cultural, Historical, Natural
Departure / Arrival : SAINT-GEORGES-DE-REX > SAINT-GEORGES-DE-REX
Distance : 3 km
  • 2-96b35e3836474e178f0ff7ea5f7c0d9c

The village, located in the limestone plain, overlooks a small preserved marsh. It is certainly one of the oldest market gardening settlements. Thanks to the sale by candlelight of part of the communal marsh and with the stones of the old sanctuary, a new building was constructed by the Niort architect Bergeron from 1881 to 1882. Partly acquired by the Conservatoire Régional des Espaces Naturels de Poitou-Charentes, the marshes of Saint-Georges-de-Rex and Amuré present two major ecosystems: 40 ha of wooded islands of ash trees to the west and 125 ha of wet meadows to the east. The flagship species of this confetti are the marsh euphorbia, the ophioglossus buttercup, the marsh fern, the marsh copper (butterfly), the Alpine rosalia (insect), the genet and the European otter.

  • Pets welcome
Le circuit des lavoirs de Saint-Georges-de-Rex - 79210 SAINT-GEORGES-DE-REX

Go there with Google Maps