Prieuré du Bois-d'Allonne

  • prieure-bois-allonne-J-becquet

Private property.
This priory was founded in the 12th century by William IV the Archbishop, Lord of Parthenay. Towards the end of the 16th century, it suffered the troubles and squandering due to the Wars of Religion. In 1769, the conventual measures were extinguished and the income of the priory applied to the seminary of Saint-Charles de Poitiers. The grandmontain chapels have a nave without transept or collaterals. There are no side windows to illuminate the nave. The choir of this chapel is of Gothic style, with a hemicycle inside and five sides on the outside. Seven semicircular arches, supported by eight small columns with capitals decorated with water leaves, receive the thrust of the vaults. The chapel opens through a Limousin-style door with three chamfered arches in the recesses of which two toroids are housed.

Prieuré du Bois-d'Allonne Lieu Dit l'Abbaye - 79130 ALLONNE

Go there with Google Maps