Pont de Vernay

Its construction is situated between the second half of the 12th century and before 1242. It is 120 metres long and consists of 11 semicircular arches supported by three double arches. This type of construction, often interpreted as having a so-called "Romanesque" aesthetic, is in fact very close to the English bridges of the same period, and rather characteristic of the constructions of the Plantagenet Empire. The bridge provided the link between the abbey and the castle of Vernay, attested in 1144. It allowed to cross the Thouet river and led to one of the roads going to Bressuire.

Pont de Vernay 11 Rue de Rochette - 79600 AIRVAULT

Go there with Google Maps