Pont de Taizon

  • Pont de Taizon

This bridge was built in the thirteenth century to span the Thouet. His crossing was subjected to a "tithe" tax in kind (wheat, rye ...) paid by farmers. Partially destroyed by German troops in August 1944, it was rebuilt in 1966, when the construction of a stronger and wider bridge was made close to the old, to meet a passing vehicle more greater. Today, the arches of the old bridge are now visible through regular maintenance of land nearby. Characteristic of the territory, it is the largest medieval bridge kept Thouarsais. Included in the supplementary inventory of historic monuments since 1943.

Pont de Taizon - 79290 SAINT-MARTIN-DE-SANZAY

Go there with Google Maps

Nearby