L’Église Saint-Symphorien

  • Eglise Saint Symphorien  Romans

In 1099 the bishop of Poitiers, Peter II, gave the church of Romans to the abbey of Saint-Maixent.
The church is dedicated to Saint Symphorien, martyred in Autun in the middle of the 3rd century for having refused to sacrifice to idols.
In 1798 the Romanesque church of Romans was sold as national property to P.H. Frappier for 4600 francs.

In the middle of the 19th century it was decided to build a church for the parish. Due to lack of funds, the transept was removed and the bell tower project was postponed. The bell tower was finally built in 1873 and placed to the left of the choir.
The church has retained its 12 painted consecration crosses (blue and gold) on the north and south walls.

L’Église Saint-Symphorien Rue du prieuré - 79260 ROMANS

Go there with Google Maps

Nearby