La Foye-Monjault

This village takes its name of ash (faia), confirming that at the end of the 12th century, La Foye was covered with wood, especially beech trees. This word then becomes Faya Monacalis, the beech grove of the monks, and later La Foye-Monjault. As early as 1080, the religious cleared for cereals and grapes. The village produces for a long time the most famous wines of the department consumed at the court of the monarchs of France (François 1st, Henri IV) and England. François Rabelais was enjoying it. The memory of this drink of yesteryear is revived by the association of the Fiefs viticoles, born in 2000, which strives, for example, to restore the vine huts, witnesses of this glorious wine past.

To see: former priory of St-Simon and St-Jude, water tower repainted green, well, water clock of André Maret (1.60 high).

To do: Wine and regional produce fair, the 2nd Sunday of October.

La Foye-Monjault - 79360 LA FOYE-MONJAULT

Go there with Google Maps

Nearby