Hôtel de Ville de Niort

A miniature version of the one in Paris, it was built by the municipal architect Lasseron in the Neo-renaissance style (porch with caissons, mullioned windows, dormers of roofs surmounted by pediments).
The first stone is laid by the President of the Republic, Félix Faure, in 1897. The construction lasts four years. In order to mark the supremacy of secularism over religion, the municipality of the time requested the construction of a belfry which thus hid the bell tower of Notre-Dame.
The communal coat of arms, located above the clock, represents a dungeon tower and the Sèvre flowing at its feet. Holding the shield, the savages, powerful hercules, symbolize the strength of the walls that defended the city and by extension the economic strength of the city in the Middle Ages.
In 2015, the common house of Niortais is inscribed on the additional list of Historical Monuments.

Hôtel de Ville de Niort Place Martin-Bastard - 79000 NIORT

Go there with Google Maps