Eglise Sainte-Catherine de Magné

  • L'église Sainte-Catherine de Magné

The primitive Saint-Germain d'Auxerre building, built in 936 by the abbey of Charroux, was destroyed by the Normans. In 1508, a chapter of six canons under the name of Saint Catherine was founded by Catherine de Coëtivy, the king’s niece and wife of the lord of Magné. The church was erected in 1521 by the architect Mathurin Berthomé. The vaults collapsed in 1568 following the looting and fire of the Huguenots. In 1789, the monument became a fodder warehouse and a military hospital for scabs in 1793. It was restored in the 19th century and declared a Historical Monument in 1913.

To see: "Virgin changing the Child Jesus" (18th century canvas?), chapel of the Blessed Sacrament with altarpiece of the 18th century, stained glass windows and statues of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Eglise Sainte-Catherine de Magné Place du général Largeau - 79460 MAGNE

Go there with Google Maps