Eglise Saint-Pierre de Frontenay-Rohan-Rohan

  • L'église Saint-Pierre de Frontenay-Rohan-Rohan

Perhaps founded by the viscount of Thouars Aldéarde in 1099, the church of Saint Peter is quoted for the first time in 1111 in a charter of the abbey of Nouaillé which, under the protection of the counts of Poitou, named the parish priests of Frontenay. Ruined during the Hundred Years Wars, it was rebuilt in the 15th century by the successive bishops of Saintes Guy and Louis de Rochechouart (see their coat of arms on the bell tower), and, by royal authorization, the village was fortified (see the ramp on the front). In 1537, the building has a bell placed today against a pillar of the nave. During the Wars of Religion, it was burned and repaired in 1635. Threatening to collapse, the narthex-belfry was consolidated in the 19th century and classified in 1903.

To see: 19th century stained glass windows of the Constant-Auguste Boinot.

Eglise Saint-Pierre de Frontenay-Rohan-Rohan - 79270 FRONTENAY-ROHAN-ROHAN

Go there with Google Maps