Eglise Saint-Eutrope du Cormenier (Beauvoir-sur-Niort)

  • EGLISE--mairie-de-Beauvoir-
  • VUE-D-ENSEMBLE-29
  • FACADE-OCCIDENTALE-3

The Romanesque church was built under the patronage of the Poitevine abbey of Saint-Jean-de-Monterneuf, but in the diocese of Saintes. It is dedicated to Saint Eutrope, the first bishop of Saintes martyred in the 4th century.
In the first half of the twelfth century, its bell tower no longer exists or has never been realized, reducing itself today to an unfinished building. A victim of the Wars of Religion, it was destroyed in two-thirds and repaired in 1744. A total renovation of the nave was undertaken in 1877 thanks to the parish priest, Abbé Léon Brisson and the generosity of some families. The span under the bell tower and the apse, remarkable specimens of the Saintongeais Romanesque style, were classified in 1909 as Historical Monuments.

Eglise Saint-Eutrope du Cormenier (Beauvoir-sur-Niort) Chemin de Saint-Eutrope - 79360 BEAUVOIR-SUR-NIORT

Go there with Google Maps

Nearby