Église Saint-Aubin (Aubigny) - Paroisse Saint-Jacques-en-Gâtine

Mentioned at the end of the 11th century, the church was given to the abbey of Talmond by Aldéarde Roux de Parthenay. Burned in 1569 by the Protestants, it was restored a few years later, then in 1743, and finally in 1835 thanks to the generosity of General d'Autichamp. It was entirely rebuilt from 1871 to 1874, on the initiative of Abbot Lalu and Mayor Pierre Dabin, and thanks to the financing of the inhabitants and the lords of Le Porteau, the Marquis of Maussabré and Mr. de Mérinville. The church is clear and simple, with a cruciform plan and a flat chevet, with a bell tower-porch topped by a slate-covered spire.
The axial bay of the choir is occupied by a stained glass window made in 1873 by the Guérithault brothers, from Poitiers, depicting the saints Simon and Jude, patrons of the donor Simon Jude de Pidoux. The originality of the church of Aubigny lies in its stained glass window

Église Saint-Aubin (Aubigny) - Paroisse Saint-Jacques-en-Gâtine Rue André Ganne - 79390 AUBIGNY

Go there with Google Maps