Chapelle Sainte-Macrine de Magné

  • CHAPELLE-SAINTE-MACRINE--carte-postale-ancienne--N

Located on the highest hill of Magné, this high holy place of the market garden country is dedicated to Macrine, patron saint of boatmen and the agricultural world. In the twelfth century, the small church was rebuilt. Under the Revolution, it was in ruins and sold to Jacques Barré de Niort. His widow donated it to the commune of Magné in 1806, which rebuilt it from 1867 to 1886 in the Gothic Revival style. In 2004, an ex-voto in chestnut with the effigy of the saint was inaugurated.
Since the Middle Ages, every 6 July, a pilgrimage has been taking place that continues today. Arriving from Marans, Maillé, Vix, Damvix, Arçais… by the old Sèvre and mooring their boats near the Gué de Magné, the pilgrims passed through three miraculous springs. Today, only the “fountain of the Gravelled Three Elms” was erected in 1845, 1 km from the chapel on the street of the same name.

Chapelle Sainte-Macrine de Magné Route de la Chapelle - 79460 MAGNE

Go there with Google Maps

Nearby