Ancienne église Saint-Barthélémy

  • Eglise-1-9

The old church is located in the village, at the heart of the former St Bartholomew's Priory, whose buildings (partly private) are arranged on either side of the building.
Placed under the patronage of Saint-Barthélemy, the church, which was remodelled, restored and transformed in 1864, has retained a beautiful portal dating to the end of the 12th century - beginning 13th century.

Its three elegant pointed archivolts rest on monolithic columns and are decorated with torus-shaped mouldings. Those of the upper archivolt, of a larger diameter, are applied laterally against the jambs.

All the capitals are decorated with foliage with curved hooks between which small human figures appear.

Pierre DE CAHIDUC and Françoise JARNO, his wife, are buried there alongside Hélène DE CAHIDUC and René DE PONS, under a flat grave with a sculpted coat of arms.

Ancienne église Saint-Barthélémy 34 Rue du Prieure le Bourg - 79400 AZAY-LE-BRULE

Go there with Google Maps