Ancienne chapelle priorale de Croizé

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Listed as early as 1300, the priory belonged to the order of St-Thomas-des-Croisés, an order of knighthood created by Richard the Lionheart, probably around 1190; it belonged to the dean of St-André de Niort and the parish of Sciecq. At the end of the 16th century, Agrippa d 'Aubigné, Baron de Surimeau, seized it. In 1608, in order to endow the Oratory of Niort, Jacques Gastaud claimed the property from the pope who gave him provisions. At the Revolution, part of the Croisette estate was acquired by Baugier, a bourgeois from Niort. Later, it was a farm.
What’s left of the priory? A Romanesque chapel; a naively carved crucifixion from the 14th or 15th century, in the shape of an altarpiece, on the western façade; a tomb platform from the 13th-14th century in the pavement of the chapel (that of a member of the Lucy family?).

Ancienne chapelle priorale de Croizé Chemin d'Antes - 79000 NIORT

Go there with Google Maps